The Bartholomew County Public Library is the community crossroads- connecting people, ideas, information, and experiences to empower everyone on their journey of lifelong learning.
The 2019-2023 Strategic Plan (click for full plan) emphasizes 5 areas of concentration with specific goals and measurable outcomes in each area.
Stimulate Imagination: Reading, Viewing, and Listening for Pleasure
- BCPL will expand our presence in the community and outside the walls of our traditional locations to showcase the library’s central role in the promotion and importance of reading.
- Patrons will have the help and resources needed to find appropriate materials easily and in a timely manner.
- BCPL will maintain a high quality, diverse, and entertaining collection of materials and programs.
Satisfy Curiousity: Lifelong Learning
- Patrons will have access to programs that further their learning, literacy and personal enrichment.
- Patrons will have help and resources needed to gain access to a high quality, easily accessible collection of learning resources for all ages.
- BCPL will provide a welcoming atmosphere to facilitate learning and education for everyone in the community.
- BCPL will maintain strong genealogy, local history and archives departments that allows all to further their quest to understand their individual and collective past.
Create Young Readers: Early Literacy
- BCPL will provide a collection that successfully addresses the needs of those patrons aged 0-5 and their parents and caregivers.
- BCPL will promote early literacy among more members of the community by expanding our ability to provide programs and services in a playful and engaging environment.
- BCPL will specifically target programs and services to community members who do not regularly use the library.
Connect and Thrive in the Digital World
- BCPL will strengthen its abilities for providing remote, digitally delivered services.
- BCPL will maintain a staff that supports, encourages, and understands the ever-changing digital landscape.
- BCPL will teach and support the learning of tools and skills for people to work and enjoy their lives in the digital world.
- BCPL will support and encourage digital creativity among patrons.
Succeed in School
- BCPL will assist students at all level with the appropriate resources, programs, and services.
- BCPL will reach out to students, teachers, parents and caregivers to bring our resources, programs, and services to them rather than expecting them to come to the library